Wednesday 23 June 2010

Wild Horses

They’ve been here, next door, for eleven years and I had never seen them! I can’t believe this; although I’m sure than not a lot of Lithuanians know that they could have a glimpse of wild horses in our neighbouring country – Latvia!

A few weeks ago I heard on the radio a woman called Velta talking about some Nature Park. It turned out it’s the one based right next to the Lithuanian-Latvian border (Pape Nature Park). I knew that this park is an ideal place for birdwatchers as there’s a big lake and lots of marshland, but Velta was talking about a possibility to see the wild horses!

Anyway, here are the photos from our trip.


I must admit, on the way to see them, I hoped they‘d be very big and gallop around, and I’d get lots of good shots of the mustangs, but when we got there I saw a gang of grey ponies (actually 41 of them) that seemed to lazily graze the grass.


Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t disappointed as I love nature, but I was informed that in England (yeah, in England!) somewhere in the New Forest the view would have been much better. So I guess there’s one more place worth visiting to put on my list.


Some action shots that I got when one of the horses tried to come closer to us, but was guided back further away by their pack leader.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that second shot is lovely. Makes me want to run my hands through that bi-colored mane.