Monday 7 June 2010

Best Novels

I think it is exciting how looking for one thing you might find something else that might interest you. I guess it’s not that hard when you’re surfing on the net, otherwise I don’t think time would just disappear while I’m on my computer…

This time I was looking up Vladimir Nabokov – multilingual Russian-American novelist. I have read one of his books recently (I‘m ashamed to admit I haven‘t read his famous "Lolita") and stumbled upon something called Modern Library’s 100 Best Novels list.

As this is a list of the best English-language novels of the 20th century, selected and compiled by the Modern Library (publishing company) in 1998, I decided to have a look how many I’ve read or at least heard of (by the way, V.Nabokov's "Lolita" is number 4 on this list).

Oh, my… I’m a keen reader, but obviously not keen enough. I will have to make up for this as soon as possible; just after I finish my Virtual Trip around Europe… Well, long summer evenings and light nights are perfect for reading!

If you’d like to test yourself, you can find this list just here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Library_100_Best_Novels

Don’t get upset if you haven’t read many of these books - the list did not include enough novels by women, and not enough novels from outside North America and Europe. In addition, some contend it was a "sales gimmick", since most of the titles in the list are also sold by Modern Library.

3 comments:

Kel said...

I have a really horrible book about a mass murder. It is horrible, but a wee tad to good to not share. It is called 'We need to talk to Kevin'. Are you interested in reading it

Anonymous said...

Opp Krista that we me Kel. Not sure what happened there.

For some reason I cannot leave and receive follow-up to comments on blogger.

Kristina said...

Well disguised, Kel :) Of course I'd love to read it. The subject might be not a pleasant one, but as such things happen it's always interesting to "lift the curtain" and have a closer look. Thank you for offering.