Monday 17 August 2009

Denmark And Austria - More Books

I haven’t posted anything on my Virtual Tour for a long time, but it’s not because I haven’t been reading… it’s just that I didn’t have enough time to write thorough reports. So I guess it will be best if I just give a quick update on several books at a time and provide some links where, if need be, more information can be found.

Denmark – Peter Hoeg “The Quiet Girl”

This book appeared in 2006 and in Denmark ‘was generally disregarded as being either too complex or too post-modern’. I must admit it was quite complicated – reading it I could feel that it’s been written by a very intelligent person whose knowledge in most subjects is far greater than of a standard European (no doubt mine as well…). At the same time it was a book which made me laugh out loud – the author’s sense of humour is simply brilliant – I wish I could have such a healing attitude towards life!

You might already be familiar with Peter Hoeg if you’ve read his “Miss Smilla’s Feeling for Snow”. For more information on this book please have a look here:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/fiction/article2645069.ece

Austria – Susanna Kubelka “Ophelia Learns to Swim”

Susanna Kubelka was born in Austria, but now is presented as a German speaking writer who lives in France. Although “Ophelia Learns to Swim” was written in 1987 it can be easily confused for a very modern book, which encourages women to live their life with no regrets, taking every chance (hence all the 40 lovers that Ophelia has counted…). Such attitude isn’t for me, but I know that nowadays it’s quite popular. Well, the book wasn’t too bad and I guess in some ways it was even inspiring – advertising the thought that you shouldn’t stop and should always continue to follow your dreams.

For more information on this book please have a look here:

http://www.shvoong.com/books/novel/255074-ophelia-learns-swim/

No comments: