Tuesday 22 September 2009

Catching up... What's happened in September

It's been almost a month since I last posted anything on my blog - and I must admit I really missed searching for the best photos and writing about things that I like...

Well, there's been a good reason for my silence - September has been FULL of nice events, but in order to take part in them I had to get on a plane, which is a real torture for me! Don’t get me wrong - I like travelling, I love seeing new and interesting places, but I can only calm down once I've landed safely or maybe even only once I’ve left the airport…

One of those scary flying things... Stanstead Aiport, the 9th of September, 2009

Whenever we get plane tickets I get anxious and I'm sure I annoy everyone else by not being able to get excited! About a week before my journey at nights I have problems sleeping and during the days I quite often lift my eyes into the sky in order to judge the flying conditions... I know it’s not very normal, but I think that I can still cope with my fear. When would I say that I can’t? Probably the time when I would kiss the ground after getting out of a plane (a bit of turbulence, a few bumps and one day that might happen – no, no, it won’t… everything will always be fine – positive thinking!).

Good flying conditions a few days before leaving for England

Well, this time I just couldn’t stay at home – my boyfriend’s granddad was celebrating his 100th Birthday! (What’s the secret of longevity? In his case we think it is cod liver oil – so from now on boys and girls, please don’t forget to swallow a spoon or two a day!) It was really exciting as I don’t think that many people reach this age, oh, and if they live in the UK they even get a Birthday card from the Queen!

How old would you say is this guy? 100! (the one who's acctually blowing the candles)

I like England – it’s so different to any other country, but somehow it’s very appealing. I’m glad that people there stick to their ways of doing things and maintain their heritage. Lots of stuff in England is very ‘country livingish’ – it’s fun to go hiking on a Saturday or Sunday, there are so many Manor Houses and Castles that are packed with goods from middle ages, it’s not surprising if someone owns a horse, gardens are kept well and cooking can be turned into a ritual that unites the whole family…

Anyway… this time in England I got lots of lovely magazines, for eg. ‘Country Living’, ‘Homes & Antiques’, '25 Beautiful Homes' etc. (10 out of 10 in the scale of pleasure!) and went to see a country house in Oxborough, Norfolk (9 out of 10 in the scale of pleasure – as the only things that are left are my memories and a few photos…) –I’ll tell you some more about the house later on this week!

Oxburgh Hall, Norfolk - worth a visit!

No comments: